Saturday 31 March 2012

making a change

I really need to lose a few pounds. I hate exercise though. With a pile of household chores that need to be done plus a growing "to do " list, exercise is the last thing on my mind. Growing older (yeah, I know, I know, 40 really isn't that old), but I do notice that my body is changing, my energy level could be better etc. I really should do something to feel lighter, more energetic and less stressed.  Working in a hospital, I've gained more perspective on the importance of really taking care of your body. Seeing people acutely ill,  how they got there, what it takes to recover, whether they can even recover at all, I see that being sick really sucks!!! The scary part is that illness strikes any age group. So being a mom to four young people, I really need to stick around for as long as I possibly can. I need to make some changes. So I've decided to change our diet. I'm a pretty okay cook. But I basically make the same thing every week , I make things the kids like but that gets boring. I find that it's hard to introduce the kids to new foods, meaning the healthy foods, and I suppose that's an excuse to not try anything different. But I see now that I really have to.

I've been reading about quinoa and was curious about what it tastes like. I am a rice eater (due to being of filipino descent) and wanted to try something different. So I picked some up last weekend and finally made some yesterday. I followed this recipe seeing as it had tons of reviews and seemed pretty simple to make. I didn't have any frozen corn but I did have frozen peas, so I put that in instead. It turned out pretty good although I wish I did have the corn. I enjoyed it and will definitely make it again. The kids, on the other hand, didn't even touch it (surprise,surprise). So hubby and I will be having leftovers today.


No comments:

Post a Comment